Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Off the Shelf

Two of the (many) unexpected pleasures of retirement:

1) Dawdling through the stacks in the library and

2) Reading during the daytime.



So off to the library I went last week.

I returned Malcolm Gladwell's latest book, Outliers, The Story of Success.  He looks at highly successful people and concludes that they are the product of their times, their culture, their family and community, and even luck--rather than simply in-born intelligence or ambition.  Another words, it's a group effort.  The examples he shares are really fascinating!  I suppose we can all look at our life stories and our families and see the influences on our lives.


While I was looking through the new arrivals, I found Gwyneth Paltrow's My Father's Daughter.  It looks like a wonderful cookbook and has me wanting to try so many of the recipes ("homemade root beer floats", "kale chips", "balsamic & lime vinaigrette").






Okay, enough--back to my books . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment