Thursday, June 21, 2012

Little Nightstand

Lots of projects going lately, including this sweet little nightstand.

Here's the "before" shot:

I gave this one a really "clean" look, no distressing.  The graduated color on the drawer fronts was fun to do.  I changed out most of the things in my room at Liberty House today, so hope to post photos of some of those things in the next few days.  I don't have room there right now for this little nightstand, so  if you are interested, let me know!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Radio Cabinet Redo & Annie Sloan Paint

Just took this old radio cabinet down to Liberty House.  I think it would be really pretty in a bathroom to hold towels or as a little wardrobe for children's clothes or a cool bar or to stack books in . . .

It was my first big project with the Annie Sloan paint and I am a convert!  It is so much fun and easier to use than regular paint, dries quickly, and distresses beautifully.  I used Old White and Duck Egg Blue on this.  It's pricey, but seems to go a long ways--plus you don't have to sand or prime.  I just wish we had a dealer nearby--thanks to Hobbin for hauling it back from Colorado for me!

The paint really highlights the pretty details . . .

I put the original on/off switch back on (just for fun):

I did remember to take a "Before" picture--here it is after I took out the front panel and some other odds and ends.  That front panel is going to be something interesting someday.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grain Sacks

I was the winning bid on a box of really dirty old grain sacks recently.  It took about a week to work my way through the stack--shaking out plenty of dirt and grainy bits, soaking, washing, and drying them.  I had to really want 'em which I do.  So here's my lovely pile . . .

And some projects that I've used them on . . .

Monday, June 4, 2012

New Cottonwood Sign

Just finished this sign and kind of love it.  I use manila tags on most of the things I sell, so seemed like a good idea for a sign.  The guys at the lumberyard have a good "scrap" pile and are good enough to cut pieces to size.  When I got home from there, I decided to use my algebra skills to make the proportions the same as the actual tag (I was very proud).  Ben cut it down further (after I did the math) along with the corners and the hole.  We found a manila file folder (that had our wedding pictures in it!) and used it for the "reinforcement" part.  I made a stencil for the letters, added some clothesline rope, and done!