Monday, November 29, 2010

Expecting wonders

Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed.  Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.
                                                                       -   Henry David Thoreau

The weather was beautiful Saturday so we headed for the backyard.  Between playing with Pip, Ben raked  and I emptied and put away flower pots.  While pulling up the now dead zinnias and marigolds (white, of course, for J & J's summer wedding), it occurred to me that I should save some seeds for next year.  The zinnia seeds had been a splurge (something like $5.25 for a dozen seeds), so I decided it was worth the effort to try to save some.  I cut off the largest flower heads, pulled out the dried petals, and gathered up the seeds.  Now we'll wait and see how they do next summer . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment