Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dried Orange Slices

Everybody has an opinion on how a Christmas tree should look (which is as it should be).

I love the tree we've used the last few years because it is so skinny and sparse.  I decorate it the same way.  It has a few very pretty glass ornaments, some large sparkly snowflakes,  finished off with dried orange slices.  When I was growing up, and again when my daughter was young, we made new ornaments every year.  I think that's why I like to do the oranges now--that and they smell so good!

Here's how I do them (though remember--it's not rocket science--exact time, temperature, and technique  are not crucial to their success!):

Cut the oranges into approximately 1/4 inch slices.  Remove seeds (they'll look a little prettier--though I forgot this time).  Spread out on a cookie sheet.  I used parchment paper to make clean up easier.  Bake for about 4 hours at 200 - 225 degree oven.  Mine were still a little sticky, but they'll finish drying on the tree.  Hang on the tree with ornament hangers or just plain wire, and they look like little stain glass windows!



































1 comment:

  1. These orange ornaments look great. We may get some at our house if we get the tree up soon.

    ReplyDelete