Friday, April 5, 2013

Little "Otomi" Seat

I have a minute while some paint dries, so will write about this little bench.  It was "thrown in" with some other things at an auction.

I primed the whole thing first to make sure the red and yellow was covered and the paint would hold when I pulled off the designs.   I painted the seat and back with AS Old White.  The Otomi designs are from Lena Corwin's book (Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens).  I cut them out of contact paper and arranged them on the seat and back.  Then the whole thing was painted with a couple coats of AS Provence.  I very carefully peeled off the contact paper (the best part!) and then waxed it with the Annie Sloan clear wax.




Cute, eh?  By the way, if you use this contact paper method be sure to use paint with a flat finish.  Anything with latex in it will tend to pull off more than you want it to and that's not good.

Oh, here's the "Before":


No comments:

Post a Comment